D-Conf

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at nit.ca
Sat Mar 5 20:10:29 EET 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 01:36:45AM +0100, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Friday 04 March 2005 21:43, Avery Pennarun wrote:
> > Oh, also, it's no more work, because it's already implemented in all the
> > config systems under discussion.  They obviously thought it was a good
> > idea, and I've already used it to my own advantage.
>
> Even KConfig has been designed with different backends in mind. We only
> had one during the last 6 years or so, but it would actually be
> interesting to see how hard it would be to write a GConf backend for
> KConfig just for the fun of it.
>
> Is there a GConf howto somewhere? >:-)

Actually there is already a UniConf backend for KConfig, allowing it to
connect to GConf or other things.

However, the KConfig API has rather restrictive semantics, so it can't take
full advantage of those other config systems.  For example, last time I
checked, KConfig won't send you a notification when someone changes your
settings from outside the program.  With KConfig's ini backend, this is
sensible, since you can't even *notice* when such a change happens.  But
UniConf et al. can deliver these notifications, which means you might want
to receive them.

Have fun,

Avery