D-Conf

Joerg Barfurth jub at sun.com
Mon Mar 7 17:32:15 EET 2005

Mikael Hallendal wrote:
>  > Changes in the existing applications WILL be needed. Lots of. The KDE
>  > applications will need MASSIVE changes. Try selling a generic
>  > configuration system by telling them:
>
>  > - You guys will basically need to rewrite 25% of your applications
>  > - We won't need to do one single thing
>  > - Cool don't you think?
>
> So, it would be better to say, you need to rewrite most of your
> applications but to make you happy we will as well so we will both have
> to spend all of our time in rewriting things?

Maybe I am just restating the obvious, but I think one requirement for a
new configuration API is, that it is possible to implement the core
semantics of the major existing APIs on top of it. This way applications
can migrate gradually.

New functionality in the new framework either works transparently - in
which case nothing needs to be rewritten - or it requires support by the
application. In the latter case of course an application that should
support the new functionality provided by the system needs to be
adapted. But that has always been true.

Ciao, Joerg