trying to understand XDG - a plea for help

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue Mar 8 00:03:58 EET 2005

On Monday 07 March 2005 22:32, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > The menu spec does not cover file type associations, I suggest you file a
> > bugreport with your distribution. There is no reason why this shouldn't
> > work.
>
> yeah I did, and the response was that it's because of a switch to XDG.
>
> so no XDG-related component has anything to do with (lost) file
> associations (especially in KDE 3.3.2, where this bug occurs)?
>
> I want to be sure in "continuing" this bug-report.

There are several bugreports filed on KDE about this, see:
http://bugs.kde.org/simple_search.cgi?id=file+associations

It may very well be that this problem is indeed caused by the switch to XDG
menus, but it's not an inherent feature of XDG menus, it most likely means
that your distribution sets the paths for the XDG menus in the wrong order:
In that case the system settings override the settings made by the user
instead of the other way around.

Unfortunately you do not mention which distribution you use.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download