trying to understand XDG - a plea for help

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Tue Mar 8 01:17:55 EET 2005

On Monday 07 March 2005 23:20, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> - right click on a file with *.myextension
> - choose "Open with... -> Other"
> - choose /usr/local/bin/my_binary
> - set "Remember application association for this type of file".

Funny - we debugged this at Linux Expo on debian (which has a very similar menu
system as Mandrake I think), and it turned out to be a setup problem - I forgot the
details, but something was quite inconsistent with the global and local paths, and I
had to suspect a bad patch. Loic, do you remember the details?

It could be that Mandrake is affected the same way.

Mike wrote:
> I think it's a KDE bug. You can do that in GNOME.
You can do that in the "out of the box" KDE, too. The bug is only due to
the wrong directory setup.