Menu addition.

George Farris farrisg at cc.mala.bc.ca
Mon Mar 14 19:31:30 EET 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 20:06 +1100, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 03:45 am, George Farris wrote:
> > I have looked through the menu spec on freedesktop.org and honestly it
> > doesn't server this unique area well.
> I cannot agree.
>
> > Again I suggest that having a "Amateur Radio" menu under Applications is
> > really the only thing that makes sense and would encompass all these
> > varied applications.
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html about half way
> down, you'll find HamRadio.
>
> > I urge you all to reconsider this.
> I don't understand what you want, that you don't already have. What is the
> problem?

Maybe I'm confused.  I read the spec and thought it said to put Ham
Radio apps in either Network or Audio.  I did see the HamRadio Legacy
category but didn't see the HamRadio entry
in /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu which is where I thought it should
be.

I don't think there should be a subcategory of Network or Audio.  This
would be nice to add to /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu:

  <!-- Ham Radio -->
  <Menu>
    <Name>HamRadio</Name>
    <Directory>HamRadio.directory</Directory>
    <OnlyUnallocated/>
    <Include>
      <And>
        <Category>HamRadio</Category>
      </And>
    </Include>
  </Menu> <!-- End HamRadio -->

I'm sure this is not 100% correct as I just copied it from "Other" but
it does work in that menu only appears when a Ham app is installed.

George Farris   farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Malaspina University-College

As with the rail barons of the past:
There is no reason why the computer industry should have to put up
with 'private standards' any longer. The word 'incompatible' is a
dirty word. It's time to run those who insist on using it out of the
business.