Associating mime types with icons - broken?

Kenneth Wimer wimer at suse.de
Tue Mar 22 20:34:05 EET 2005

* Rodney Dawes <dobey at novell.com> [Mar 22. 2005 19:23]:
> On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 13:24 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 19:35 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > > What we need is a standard Icon Naming Spec, which extends across the
> > > entire desktop. There is work being done on this, and the proposal
> > > should be sent soon, as I said earlier.
> >
> > We need that too yes but I think allowing ISVs to ship new mimetype
> > icons is a higher priority.
>
> I disagree. ISVs are allowed to ship new icons already. It just so
> happens that they have to do it differently for each desktop they want
> it to work on. You seem to have ran into a bug that seems to make it
> a little more difficult for you. In fact, Real ships icons for their
> player already. I believe they work in both KDE and Gnome, but I've not
> tested that they work in KDE as I don't use it. They do, however, show
> up "properly" in various bits of Gnome, depending upon the Icon Theme
> inheritance tree, and whether the theme provides them or not.

Since you mentioned the Real icons, I can confirm that both gnome and
kde versions where made and are included in the Real package itself
(since Jimmac and myself made them) Aside from reasons of what is
logicaly better for third party software it also helped resolve legal
problems including a trademarked logo in the gnome and kde icon sets.

Bye,
Kenneth

--
SUSE LINUX - a Novell business