[PROPOSAL] Desktop Bookmarks

Emmanuele Bassi ebassi at gmail.com
Mon May 9 19:06:31 EEST 2005

Hi all.

I already sent a this proposal on the Gnome desktop-devel list, but
since I'm working on a draft that should supersede the recent-files
spec, I'm also sending it here.

For the full mail, here's a link on the Gnome mailing lists archives:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2005-May/msg00040.html

In brief: I'm proposing a desktop-wide bookmark system, roughly based
on the recent files storage specification, along with the remarks
expressed on the Gnome bugzilla and on the Gnome wiki (see:
http://live.gnome.org/RecentFilesAndBookmarks).

The new specification will allow the creation of bookmarks available
to the entire desktop environment, or to groups of applications (e.g.:
all image viewers, all media players, etc.) or to single applications.
Since recently used files/directories could be seen as a special form
of bookmarks, this spec would eventually replace the current recent
files storage specification.

The draft of my spec is located here:

http://devel.emmanuelebassi.net/papers/bookmark-spec.html

I'm currently working on an implementation of this spec as a platform
library (the headers of the main objects are attached to the mail I
sent to the desktop devel mailing list).

I'd like to hear some comments about how to improve the spec (or the
API, for that matter), in order to enhance the interoperability of it.

Kind regards,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi at gmail.com>