[PROPOSAL] Desktop Bookmarks

Emmanuele Bassi ebassi at gmail.com
Tue May 10 13:37:29 EEST 2005

On 5/10/05, David Faure <dfaure at trolltech.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 May 2005 11:12, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:

> > > Why isn't this based on XBEL, with custom metadata for the additional fields?
> >
> > I am aware of XBEL, but I was searching something a little more
> > lightweight and more desktop-specific, to be placed lower on the
> > dependency stack (my current implementation does not require an XML
> > parser library, by using the Glib's markup parser).
>
> Lightweight?

With regards to complexity of the format.

XBEL puts everything in the info section: we would end up with a lot
of metadata tags, and would need to define a new XML namespace above
it. I was proposing something more simple.

Anyone wishing to create an XBEL-compliant file from the desktop
bookmarks could do it using XSLT, as a side-project.

> Dependency stack? I'm talking about a file format, not about an actual
> implementation of it.

I am considering the implementation too, since writing a spec without
that in mind would end up being ignored.

(I'm very open minded about the file format, but I want it to be
extremely simple: XML namespaces for each foreign tag is not my idea
of "simple").

Kind regards,
 Emmanuele.

--
It is against the grain of modern education to teach children to program.
What fun is there in making plans, acquiring discipline in organizing