[PROPOSAL] Desktop Bookmarks

Emmanuele Bassi ebassi at gmail.com
Wed May 11 12:41:33 EEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 09:50 +0100, Dave Cridland wrote:

> > The desktop bookmarks list itself could be automatically updated:
> > suppose you set a bookmark to a location on a volume, and you do not
> > access it for more than six months; the system could selectively
> > remove
> > older entries (where "older" means "older than a limit conveniently
> > choosen by fd.o or set by the user").  This could avoid unnecessary
> > clutter.
> >

> If any computer starts removing data I have explicitly put there,
> you'd better be supporting RFC748.

By "remove" I intended "put away", not actually delete the entry.  It
could be put into a group called "Old bookmarks", visible on request.

Deleting information should be strictly controlled by the user, quite
obviously.

+++

In my opinion, these details pertain to the implementation, though, not
to the storaging spec.  All I was saying was that the bookmarks list
could be automatically updated, so the recently used files list could be
treated as a list of bookmarks, thus removing the need of a logical
separation between such lists.  The different semantics of recently used
files/applications/tasks/whatever (that is, a form of GUI history) and
bookmarks are retained by using different groups - and grouping (do we
want to use folders? We'll use folders, if we're using XBEL it's the
same) should be enough for a logical separation.

(I'll admit I am acting as a devil's advocate here; logical separation
based on semantics is good, but it could also be left to the
implementations of the spec, so I'd like to hear the advantages of
putting this concept directly in the spec, before actually putting them
in. ;-))

Kind regards,
 Emmanuele.

--