[Desktop Bookmars] Adding link on the standards page

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Mon May 16 13:19:31 EEST 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:36 pm, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> Since my draft has been reviewed, and it seems that no one opposed the
> design, may I add an external link for it to the drafts section of the
> fd.o Standards page?
I don't know what the rules are for adding links and I didn't review the spec
in detail, however after a review of the email chain, I don't think you
addressed all of the concerns raised, especially not those by Daniel
Veillard. You responded to his email,  which is not exactly the same as
getting concensus.

You might want to review what everyone wrote, and whether you have addressed
the issues.

My suggestions:
1. The Storage Format (section 2) is primarily an example. I'd suggest a
definition first, and an explanation using an example if required.
2. You should add a normative reference to the XBEL spec
3. You should add a normative reference to wherever XDG_DATA_DIRS comes from
4. You claim that the spec aims to "Allow for notification of changes in the
list". However there is nothing in the spec that specifically provides for
notifications - suggesting use of FAM or polling the whole file not
withstanding.
5. I'm not sure what the <bookmark:application> bit is going to be used for.
What happens if there are two applications (as in your example) - which gets
used if you invoke a bookmark?  What if the file association is changed in
some system-central location? What if the application is deleted from the
system? What if an application is added or upgraded? What if an application
deletes the file? When can an app use a symbolic name instead of the binary
name? What is the purpose of "count", as in what is the purpose of knowing
about how many duplicate registrations of a bookmark have been made?
6. There are at least two typos. Finding them is left as exercise :-)
7. The idea of Groups is pretty broken without a defined list of them.

Brad