Last Tango in fdo (was Re: Tango, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Desktop)

Richard Moore rich at xmelegance.org
Thu Nov 10 15:20:53 PST 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 10:03:06AM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 10:20:16PM +0000, Richard Moore wrote:
> > Ok then, perhaps f.d.o should simply put out a statement saying
> > that what the people creating Tango are saying isn't the f.d.o.
> > position, then continue to host it.
>
> Why?

Because, as Travis intimated, what is being said about Tango does not
reflect its true relationship with freedesktop.org.

> Must I also yell from the rooftops that anything in Open Clipart isn't
> necessarily 'the fd.o position' because it doesn't agree with several
> peoples' ideas on styling?

The only mention of freedesktop in the openclipart homepage is a note
saying where it is hosted - hardly the same.

[various off the wall examples deleted]

> (Pet peeve: it's freedesktop.org, not free.desktop.org.)

Well, if I'm abreviating Free Desktop Organisation, it's f.d.o.
do we need a spec for this? :-)

> > As I said earlier in this thread, currently people's perception of
> > what f.d.o does is currently contradicted by the fdo web site. If this
> > isn't fixed then fdo is acting against its own aims.
>
> Interesting assertion.

Surely you agree that having the purpose of freedesktop.org misunderstood
cannot help its aims. From the website:

'Unlike a standards organization, freedesktop.org is a "collaboration
zone" where ideas and code are tossed around, and de facto
specifications are encouraged.'

Except, that's not how it is often represented. This in turn harms its
use as a forum for collaborating.

Cheers

Rich.