MIME info spec: Handling containers/multiple MIME types per glob pattern

Christian Neumair chris at gnome-de.org
Wed Nov 16 06:15:32 PST 2005

Matthias Clasen wrote:
>The patch that I posted a few weeks ago only sniffs if there
>are multiple identical globs that match, which is a fairly rare
>case in the current shared-mime-info data (only, .pot and .pcf,
>if I remember correctly).

Sounds like excellent material. It is available under [1], just for the
reference.
XDG would return XDG_MIME_TYPE_UNKNOWN if the fopen fails, and multiple
MIME types specify identical matching glob patterns, right?

While this still wouldn't work for the more complex matches "README*",
"*EAD*", "*DME", it takes care that container formats (ogg, avi) or glob
patterns used by multiple mime TYPES "*.pot" friends play nicely with
Nautilus. Since KDE AFAIK currently does the same (glob matching,
contents for particular container MIME types only), it would also be
useful for them.

It would be nice to get this in, and to get some feedback from potential
XDG MIME API client projects. Are you willing to patch write a spec
patch yourself, or should I tackle this?

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2005-October/007434.html