Icon caching is unusable

Josselin Mouette joss at debian.org
Mon Oct 3 21:31:46 EEST 2005

Le lundi 03 octobre 2005 à 14:17 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri a écrit :
> > This is probably the most stupid idea I've heard of on the subject. If
> > you take care of a postinstall script, why do you only touch the
> > toplevel directory instead of generating the cache?
>
> You might want to think statements through before you post.  If you
> update 100 packages which all update the cache you are going to be
> sitting around for a bit.

Wrong. The cache generation time is negligible compared to the time
needed for a package update.

> If you touch the directory then the cache
> will only update when needed.

And when will it be updated? Will you suggest a cron job running every
minute to check that the cache is up to date, then?

> Then you have to talk to those package owners and ask them to do that.

Yes, but that makes more than 200 packages, and we'd like to do things
in a clean way. A clean way meaning especially not getting current
packages to stop working, like what happens with the solution you've
adopted.
: :' :           josselin.mouette at ens-lyon.org
`. `'                        joss at debian.org