A draft for a standard for desktop configuration

Christian Neumair chris at gnome-de.org
Mon Sep 12 22:06:25 EEST 2005

Am Montag, den 12.09.2005, 14:36 +0200 schrieb Philip Van Hoof:
> On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 14:32 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
>
> > You can find the proposal itself (it's source) here:
> >
> > http://cvs.pvanhoof.be/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/desktop-config-standard/
>
> If you don't have the tools installed to build the PDF:
>
> http://www.pvanhoof.be/files/desktop_config_standard.pdf
>
> Note that this is the 'current' version. The contents might change in
> future, don't refer to it.

First of all: Thanks for working on this. It's nice that finally we're
fleshing something out.

I would like to suggest to learn of GConf's memory consumption issues:
Do not translate the key desciptings inline, i.e. inside the XML files
with simple lang attributes. It will be a memory hog for translations
into a few dozen languages, and will significantly slow down parsing.

Either add org_foo_bar.langcode.schemas files, or optionally add support
for <gettextdomain> and a <gettextdirectory> nodes specifying a gettext
catalog to look up translations.

The former approach has the disadvantage that you may potentially have
node mismatches, so I'd prefer the latter.

--
Christian Neumair <chris at gnome-de.org>