what about KDE? (was: Re: Detecting whether a compositing manager is running)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Sep 19 18:58:56 EEST 2005

On Sunday 18 of September 2005 11:17, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 16.09.2005, 11:31 +0200 schrieb Philip Van Hoof:
> > On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 09:59 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > > It can be useful for applications and desktop environments to detect
> > > whether an application manager is running, for instance to decide
> > > whether it should use the rgba visual. According to Matthias Clasen,
> > > there are no means to detect this as of writing [1]. Maybe we should
> > > have a per-Screen flag which returns whether a compositing manager is
> > > running for that particular Screen.
> > > Opinions?
> >
> > Take a look at the CLIPBOARD_MANAGER atom which has historically been
> > used to make it possible to detect whether a clipboard manager is
> > running.
> >
> > Perhaps simply introduce a COMPOSITING_MANAGER atom exactly like the
> > CLIPBOARD_MANAGER atom?

 It'd be actually called COMPOSITING_MANAGER manager selection (as described
in ICCCM section 2.8), atom is just the name used for identifying the
particular manager selection.

> This sounds *very* reasonable. I wonder whether it is OK to just add
> some routine that handles this to the compositing manager initializor
> without further xdg consultation. Are you fine with this, KDE community?

 There should be no problem adding that to the KDE composition manager too
(ok, there could be, kompmgr is plain C so adding it won't be fun ... well,
nevermind).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer