A draft for a standard for desktop configuration

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Wed Sep 21 11:18:06 EEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 00:55 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 21:24 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:

> > Some people commented (in private) that LaTex is a document format they
> > don't know about (and that it's holding back their contributing). So to
> > stimulate contributions, I decided to convert the document to XHTML.

For the D-BUS protocol specification, this is what I have in TODO for
that:

- Add a timestamp to the methods that need atomicity so that it can be
implemented in the service like how ACAP does it's STORE command and
IMAP does it's CONDSTORE one (suggested by Dave Cridland).

- A NOOP operation (suggested by Avery Pennarun)

- Make the INVALIDVALUEERROR optional for service implementations that
don't support any type validation. Cause of this a high level library
shouldn't trust data coming from the service and should check the type
validity since such service implementation allow any type on every
writable key (suggested by Avery Pennarun)

ps. If you have other suggestions like this, please let me know and/or
give me a diff file or ask me for an account (please use the new xhtml
file since that is the file format I started to use).

> About the schema. What I'm going to alter and want to add before proposal:
>
> - I want to make it possible to have a clean way of enumerating types
> - I want to make types and enumerations reusable
> - Cascade the translations (rather than embed them)
>
> Additional things that I'm going to pay attention to:
>
> - Investigate whether the xdg schema can be used to create a "WDSL"-like
> tool. Specifically for environments like KConfigXT which generates code
> based on the schemas of an application.
>
> And finally ..

[ CUT, should be solved using above proposals ]

> Anyway. If somebody else has as damaged brains as I have .. and is also
> willing to help me (sounds unlikely): contact me.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be