all-in-desktop

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Thu Apr 6 19:03:43 EEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 16:49 +0200, Bernd Schwendele wrote:
> Benjamin Rich schrieb:
> > Why have application launchers on the desktop? Once you've launched an
> > app, it takes up the screen, and the desktop is obscured so you can't
> > launch any others. Isn't this why panels and the 'quick launch' bar in
> > windows, and so forth, were invented? Look at the simplicity of the
> > Mac OSX dock, I say.
> >
> Full ack! My pens and ruler are on the top of my desk. If I am writing
> something and left the pen near my pad and opening a book, which I take
> over the pad, because space is finite, I sometimes searching the pen. So
> I have to say, apps shouldn't be on the "desktop". ;)

But, what if I as a user, put them there? What if I create launchers to
access remote storages? What about items I drag from the menu to my
desktop? What about mounted CDs, and other media? These should all be
readily available to me, and I should be able to have them on my
desktop.

This topic has been discussed to no end on both the GNOME and KDE lists.
I think we should not reiterate those same discussions here. It's not
worth the trouble. Please go read the archives of the GNOME and KDE
lists, where these discussions took place, before just jumping at the
same problem, with the same suggestions that have been continually
argued in the same manner in multiple places.

-- dobey