all in desktop et al.

Sam Watkins sam at nipl.net
Thu Apr 13 16:27:14 EEST 2006

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 03:38:50PM +1000, Benjamin Rich wrote:
> Following my posts about displaying all files in /home/user on the
> desktop, I decided you're all right, and I should just make my own
> desktop GUI if I want this feature included.

I'm not sure if anyone suggested this or not as I didn't read the discussion,
but you could try:

  cd
  ln -s Desktop .

That would make your "Desktop" directory a symlink to your home directory.
The only problem being that it would show "Desktop" in it still which is a bit
ugly.  Maybe you could move that icon off the side of the screen :)

I'd like to discuss ideas about alternative desktop / GUI interfaces.
(not on the list, I guess)

FWIW I feel that RISC OS on the old Acorns is by far the best GUI I've ever
used.  I still pine for it!  What those boxes could (and still can) do with
4MB RAM an 8 or 30 MHz ARM chip and a 40Mb HDD is just phenomenal.

I think I'd like to try a GUI system with more of a feel of "entering" and
"leaving" things, as if rather than icons/windows we have boxes that can be
opened and entered, that sort of thing...  and absolutely no eye candy nor
persistent menus/toolbars/icons/etc!

Sam