(no subject)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Apr 14 09:57:06 EEST 2006

On Friday 14 April 2006 00:44, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 21:07 +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > In case you are referring to xdg-mime from the xdg-utils package, it does
> > whatever the running desktop's utility does :)
>
> I am referring to that, yes. But what does it do, if one is writing a
> new desktop, whose behavior is meant to be defined by these
> specifications? Does it do the intended lookup via mimeinfo.cache?

As Waldo wrote a new desktop can provide its own xdg-utils implementation at
first and/or merge their thing in the main version.

However I am confident that this will consolidate into a shared specification
as well, so from some point on there would be a single xdg-mime
implementation sufficient for all desktops following that spec.

New desktops would then be advised to also implement this spec rather than to
extend/replace xdg-mime

Cheers,
Kevin

--