An addition to the clipboard specification

Toni Ruottu toni.ruottu at iki.fi
Thu Apr 20 12:55:51 EEST 2006

> > > This may be the traditional way, but it can be also pretty annoying
> > > (people don't select things just in order to copy&paste them)

This was the least important (consistency) improvement in my opinion.
I just included it because, it was in the original bug report
which claimed it as the original way and I did not see a problem
in the behavior. I'm still not sure that it has a problem, but getting
the other (more obvious) improvements into the specification seems a lot
more important. So, this email includes a new patch without the
selection clearing feature.

However, I hope that the discussion will continue, so that the clearing
behavior can one day be standardized. We could recommend supporting both
ways and leaving the final choice to user. Even in that case, we would
have to name the default behavior (i.e. setting).

  --Toni