Proposal to add new XSETTINGS

Padraig O'Briain Padraig.Obriain at Sun.COM
Wed Aug 2 13:01:19 EEST 2006

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 08:45 +0100, Padraig O'Briain wrote:
>
>> I would like to propose adding the following new settings to shared
>> settings which are currently under the control of the XSETTINGS system.
>>
>> Net/MinimizeCPUUsage
>>   Bool False
>>
>> The value would be set to True for SunRay or other multi-user systems.
>>

> This would better be handled by the dbus interfaces for power-management
> and screensaving, I think.

How do you see dbus interfaces for power-management and screensaving
handling this?
Are you suggesting that these dbus interfaces should be added to specify
that CPU usage should be minimized?

>> Net/DisplayCapability
>>   String "hw_accel_none"
>>

> This should really be handled by some X extension or root window
> properties, no ?

I am confused. Are not XSETTINGS just root window properties?