Desktop Entry Spec 1.0

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Tue Aug 8 14:27:43 EEST 2006

On lun, 2006-08-07 at 19:35 -0700, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> I would like to declare the Desktop Entry Spec to be "1.0" after
> proposing and including changes related to the following issues that
> have been brought up on this list:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2006-April/008012.html
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2006-June/008248.html
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2006-May/008132.html
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2006-April/008090.html
>
> I will propose patches to the spec for review for these issues over the
> course of this week. If there are additional issues that should be
> clarified before the "1.0" release, please speak up now. Goal of the 1.0
> spec is to reflect existing practice by current implementations.

Here are some patches:

 + sortorder.diff: deprecate the SortOrder key

 + filepattern.diff: deprecate the FilePattern key

 + unique.diff: explicitly forbid keys/groups with the same name

 + versionkey.diff: make the Version key a string since it's really
   not an integer. But specify its format.

 + regexp.diff: specify that regexps are POSIX 1003.2 extended

 + fixexample.diff: fix the example to contain an Actions key and
   use a valid MimeType value

 + mime.diff: wording fixes. Also comments the "Caching MIME Types" and
   the "Priority of MIME Types and desktop files" subsections. Not sure
   this is okay, but I do not feel this should be part of this spec.

 + icon-theme-spec.diff: link to the icon theme spec for the Icon key.
   I wonder if we should also explicitly tell that there shouldn't be
   any extension in the value (eg: start-here and not start-here.png)

 + actions.diff: proposed explanation of how Actions work
   This needs some proofreading, and consensus ;-)

The only remaining stuff that I'd like to do is verify the usage of
must/should/may/might/etc. and deprececate or move to the KDE specific
appendix the FSDevice type.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.