Help System Spec 0.2

Thiago Macieira thiago at
Wed Dec 27 22:14:45 EET 2006

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> One question, though: Is D-Bus able to start the help browser on
>> demand when a call is made to the API or is it needed that the help
>> browser is already running (providing it is the help browser
>> implementing the API)?
>d-bus supports activation-on-call[1]. the challenge here will be picking
> which application to start based on the environment; right now the dbus
> specification lists specifying locations for .service files as
> FIXMEs[2]. in all, activation seems a little loosely defined right now
> in d-bus, but it is there. this could be a good excuse to hammer out
> some of those details.

If a service is desktop-dependent, the desktop should acquire the service
when it starts up. It makes more sense to me than creating a program or
script that detects the desktop and spawns the correct desktop-dependent

  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) - thiago (AT)
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358