Request for clarification on menu/file spec

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Feb 7 11:48:06 EET 2006

Jeremy White wrote:
>So my need is to figure out where to stick a .desktop file so that
>it will show up in her menu and will correctly launch my app.

If you choose an /opt prefix, the .desktop file should be in
/opt/<app-name>/share/applications

That means the user has to set it up to see it and to run the app. If the
user doesn't set both PATH and XDG_DATA_DIRS, the app won't be seen. It
may get worse in the future for icons (shared icon naming, shared icon
themes, systray handling, etc.) and other features, so XDG_DATA_DIRS has
to be set.

If you don't want that hassle, install to /usr
(/usr/bin, /usr/share/applications, etc.)

As for the non-root option, that's an easy one: binary in ~/bin
and .desktop in ~/.local/share/applications.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.