Request for clarification on menu/file spec

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Tue Feb 7 18:44:32 EET 2006

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 14:39, Jeremy White wrote:
> > If you choose an /opt prefix, the .desktop file should be in
> > /opt/<app-name>/share/applications
>
> Gah!!!!  You are not understanding.
>
> I am giving the *user* the choice of where to install
> the software to.  They can pick /blamblam if they
> feel like it.
>
> And if they do pick /blamblam, it is completely
> unreasonable to say that the user must now
> add /blamblam to their XDG_DATA_DIRS.  (Even if
> that were the requirement, there is no spec that
> tells me how and where to set XDG_DATA_DIRS, so I
> cannot do that reliably).
>
> It is a very simple thing I wish to accomplish:
> I wish to, programatically, cause a menu entry
> to appear in a users favorite XDG menu spec compliant
> window manager.

loki-setup has special handling for desktop files. It will by itself
try to automatically determine what kind of files are required and
where to install them. So you as packager do not have to care. It
doesn't support xdg desktop files yet though. loki-setup follows a
rather pragmatic approach so if it was up to me to implement xdg
support into loki-setup I'd just try to put a desktop file into
/usr/share/applications if it already exists. If that fails, try
$XDG_DATA_DIRS and finally create ~/.local/share/applications. The
uid of the user you are running as doesn't matter.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel
 //\   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Development