Request for clarification on menu/file spec

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Feb 7 20:17:33 EET 2006

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 18:31, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Jeremy White wrote:
> > The whole problem is when you say 'try $XDG_DATA_DIRS', what
> >exactly does that mean?  I'm trying to write a single .desktop file;
> >do I write it to every directory listed in $XDG_DATA_DIRS?  Do I write
> >it just to the first directory, or do I (my personal favorite) write
> >it to the first writable directory in the list?
> >
> >Note that I'm actually not waiting on this; my implementation is done
> >and works.  My concern is that I want to improve the specification so
> >that others can find it simpler to do this in the future.
>
> A self-contained package should not install stuff outside its prefix. So,
> if the user says it should install under /opt/appname, there should be
> nothing in /usr. That's what I would expect, at least.

Unfortunately there is no standard way to add additional prefixes, autopackage
suffers from this as well

As far as I understand an installer cannot even rely on /usr/local being a
fully accepted prefix and I think that's the default for autoconf/make uses.

If I remember correclty they have a Wiki page that lists variables that need
to be extended when introducing a new prefix.

Maybe freedeskop.org should specify a file where the variables have to be
defined, something like /etc/xdg.conf

Something like
"if environment variable XDG_DATA_DIRS is set, use the directories listed
there to look for file. If not set check /etc/xdg.conf. If not present there
either, assume defaults"

That would allow to override normal settings by setting XDG_DATA_DIRS, allow a
central location for additions of the base environment and have the fallback
used as now.

Cheers,
Kevin