Request for clarification on menu/file spec

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Feb 8 12:32:15 EET 2006

On Wednesday 08 February 2006 11:09, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:

> On Debian we have desktop-profiles [1] which runs an Xsession.d script that
> manages the contents of the XDG_*_DIRS variables (and similar variables
> such as KDEDIRS, or CHOICESPATH).
>
> When setting the variables it parses config files that specify the
> available config/data sets and the conditions under which they should be
> activated. If conditions are met the profile directory is activated with
> the specified priority (relative to other active profiles).

I thought about suggesting something like this in a cross-distribution way as
well, but, as it affects the environment, it will only work for applications
that have been installed before a user session starts.

Example:
I start with a clean Debian installation, KDE is installed in /usr, KDEDIRS
unset, XDG variables unset
After logging in into KDE I manually compile and install a source package
using the configure default of /usr/local

Result: the program can be started as /usr/local/bin is in PATH by default, it
appears in the menu as /usr/local is part of the XDG default
_But_ if the application is a KDE application and has some KDE resources like
KParts, it won't find them

IIRC this partial /usr/local setup is one of the things that drove autopackage
to install into /usr by default.

Cheers,
Kevin