Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Sun Jul 9 16:41:52 EEST 2006

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Getting back to this actual question:
>
> If different DeskTops install icons in HiColor there is going to be a
> problem.
>
> Currently, GNOME prefixes their icon names with: "gnome" and by so
> doing avoid this issue.  KDE naturally presume that you will only use
> KDE so they just have simple icon names and don't even consider the
> issue.
>
> BUT, we are going to have standardized icon names so we are going to
> have collisions with HiColor icons from different DeskTops.
>
> How do we deal with this??
Hmm. I'm really not an expert on this, but from my understanding a
"theme" is a set of icons which are designed in the same style.
Therefore there has to be be - for instance - only a single icon for the
home-folder in a specific theme. There is no need for desktop prefixes
in icon names, like "gnome-fs-home", or "kde-fs-home", because the two
icons would look the same anyway.

If icons look different in style, they shouldn't be in the same theme.

And - of course - Gnome-VFS and KIO should use the same icon-names for
file-types. To me - an icon theme is nothing desktop related - it's
desktop session related (But different desktops can have different
default themes). The desktop session has to tell the name of the current
theme to all applications, regardless which toolkit or vfs they are using.

cheers,
Norbert