Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jun 23 09:27:30 EEST 2006

Rodney Dawes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the slow reply. I was on vacation last week, and have been
> a bit busy this week.
>
> On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 08:11 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> We need a common place to install menu icons (i.e. "apps" icons).
>
> We have one. The hicolor icon theme is where app icons are to be
> installed.

<SNIP>

> ... as gnome-icon-theme no longer installs icons to the hicolor
> theme.

The engineering method is based on trying to find counter examples to
ideas -- finding the flaw in a design.  Developing "cases" and seeing if
they work is something developers need to learn to do.

I have tried to do this with the icon theme issue both here and on the
KDE lists.  But, nobody seems to understand that the counter examples
(things that don't [and won't] work) are real.

I hope that the above contradiction in your own statements will start
you thinking -- that you will think about design before you, and other
developers, do any more stupid things.

If you don't understand.  An example.  I installed: "gedit" which I note
installs an icon: "gedit-icon" which it doesn't use into:
"$GNOME/share/pixmaps" perhaps for some sort of backwards compatibility.
  IAC, the: "gedit.desktop" file specifies:

	Icon=text-editor

So when I go to the menu when running KDE, I find no icon in the menu
because GNOME didn't install a HiColor icon.  It isn't going to matter
which KDE icon theme I select, I am not going to get a menu icon unless:
"text-editor.*" is installed in HiColor.  Nothing you do for GNOME is
going to have KDE use the: "gnome" icon theme for a fallback theme!!

After you think about that for a while, consider what a third party
application that needs to install its own MIME type(s) is supposed to do
for MIME type icons.  Example: OpenOffice.

--
JRT