Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Wed Jun 28 21:39:29 EEST 2006

At the time that was considered redundant given that $KDEDIR has
traditionally been something like /opt/kde. Distributions started to use
/usr as $KDEDIR at some point in time, I don't think they ever consulted
with KDE when they made that decision. Anyway, this comes down to my
point that if you want to standardize aspects of /usr/share you should
write a XDG spec and reference $XDG_DATA_DIRS. If you don't like KDE
using /usr/share/apps, you shouldn't be installing KDE to /usr :-)

Waldo Bastian
Linux Client Architect - Client Linux Foundation Technology
Channel Platform Solutions Group
Intel Corporation - http://www.intel.com/go/linux
OSDL DTL Tech Board Chairman