Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Jun 29 02:15:26 EEST 2006

First of all, I'm sorry I did lose most of the original discussion. I am
trying to catch up now.

Rodney Dawes wrote:
>Applications using internal resources, or icons in a zip
>file aren't following the specification anyway, so are irrelevant.

Actually, this is my point: the internal resources are not part of the
specification. I was under the impression that this is what was the
object of the discussion.

So, do I understand correctly that we're discussing normal, themable,
icons that are installed by one application, used by that one application
only, but which may need to be themed?

In your words:
>The real problem here is that we need a good way to deal with
>action/status/etc... icons provided by the applications themselves,
>which are not part of the base set of icons, or are specific to the
>application itself, and are required by its UI.

If an application were to require a specific icon that is supposed to be
themed, why not place the application's name in the icon name so as to
create a "namespace"? This would require no change to the current icon
specification.

Therefore, the reservation of an application-specific namespace for icons
wouldn't be part of the icon *theme* specification, but part of the icon
*naming* specification.

The drawback I see there is that the icon cache could conceivably become
large. On the other hand, moving the icons to outside the icon theme root
could instead bypass the entire caching mechanism.

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech ASA
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway