tal at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Mar 14 21:01:07 EET 2006
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:05:05 +0000, John Tapsell wrote:
> Hi Bastien,
>> Huh. It's a software announcement. Pretty much every Free Unix desktop
>> project uses it, and distros and users should probably all upgrade to
>> that version...
> Okay. You know that. Most people here know that. Yet if you go to
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards it's under:
> "Draft specifications that are new and not yet widely used, though
> they may be used by one or more desktops or desktop applications:"
> With no indication anywhere whether everyone uses it or nobody uses.
Try clicking on the link to the spec. From the linked web page:
The specification is now quite stable and not expected to change in
incompatible ways. Integration with icon themes has not been finalised
(and is not currently part of the specification).
* ROX has used the system since ROX-Filer 1.3.3 (July 2002).
* GTK has support since version 2.4 (Mar 2004).
* GNOME uses the system since version 2.8 (Sep 2004).
* XFCE uses the system since version 4.2.0 (Jan 2005).
* KDE is planning to support it for their next major release.
Current issues keeping this as 'draft' are:
* The Desktop Base Directory Specification, which this relies on, is
still a draft."
> What would be really nice would be to state:
> * Which version of gnome uses/supports this
> * Which version of kde uses/supports this
> * Any other relevant apps
> And to move it under the title "draft specifications"
Dr Thomas Leonard http://rox.sourceforge.net
GPG: 9242 9807 C985 3C07 44A6 8B9A AE07 8280 59A5 3CC1
More information about the xdg