Hello + sound event architecture

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 13 19:43:36 EET 2006

On Monday 13 November 2006 8:35, Stefan.Kost at nokia.com wrote:
> user has no sound-card he wouldn't run the mixer applet and thus no
> play_sound service is available.

fwiw, after working on kde's panels for a few years now, i've found no
reliable correlation between "working sound" and a sound applet running.
perhaps it's different in gnome =)

> I see benefit in the separation from a notification daemon.

isn't this a separate topic altogether from notifications, though, which
should be discussed separately and with the multimedia developers of all the
projects? (they tend to have great cross-pollination, so this shouldn't be
hard) they could then bring a recommendation (e.g. a standardized DBUS
interface to be provided by the running desktop's workspace) to this list
which would likely have good coverage of the issues they are most acquainted
with?

> notification daemon. Thus the notification daemon can use the play_sound
> dbus service to play a sound with a given priority.

or it could use the sound system provided by the platform it is written to,
and that sound system could provide a standardized DBUS interface for
play_sound. so i don't see a particular advantage to defining this detail
within the scope of "notification systems"

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se