extended attribute standardization

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Nov 18 05:31:28 EET 2006

On Friday 17 November 2006 11:44, Claes at work wrote:
> save. How easy would it be to add xattr support to desktop frameworks
> (KDE/Gnome) and get many applications to support some basic attributes
>  automatically? Is it something that can be added to common file
> dialogs for example?

kde 3.5 supports reading/setting xattrs in the file properties dialog if
xattrs is supported on your system. this is used in the file manager, file
dialog and elsewhere. this is also encapsulated in a stand-alone xattr widget
in libkfile called KACLEditWidget

strigi which is currently most viable indexing system for kde4 indexes xattrs
so we can search based on them and it may end up storing metadata it comes up
with in xattrs as well.

so we're pretty close here i think ... i'd imagine the situation is similar in
GNOME?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se