simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

Jos van den Oever jvdoever at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 13:19:45 EET 2006

Hi Mikkel,

Yes, the common dbus api is still something we need. I wanted to start
on the metadata standarization first, but we can do the searching api
in parallel. You make a good start in listing the available engines.
There might even be more. To coordinate we need a process that lists
the available search engines over dbus. An application should be able
to say: I want to search using a particular interface with the
available search engines.

The attached archive contains an effort to do two things:
- propose a very simple, common api for search engines
- implement such a coordinating daemon
  The code contains the daemon, a demo search application and a python
client to access it by finding the search engine over the
searchmanager.

The proposal for the search api is _very_ simple and I call for
application developers to see if the function calls in there are
sufficient.
Here i paste them for convenience:

 interface org.freedesktop.search.simple

method startConfiguration ( )
Open a graphical interface for configuring of search tool.

method countHits ( in s query , out i count )
Count the number of instances of a file that match a particular query.
Input:
query
    The query being performed.
Output:
count
    The number of documents that match the query.

method query ( in s query, in i offset, in i limit , out as hits )
Perform a query and return a list of files that match the query.
Input:
query
    The query being performed.
offset
    The offset in the result list for the first returned result.
limit
    The maximum number of results that should be returned.

Output:
hits
    A list if filenames that are the result of the query.

method getProperties ( in as files,in a(sa(sas)) properties )
Get properties for the given files.
Input:
files
    A list of files for which properties should be returned.
properties
    The properties belonging to each file. Each property is a name
associated with a list of string values. The index of each property
map in the list corresponds to the index of the filename in the list
of files.