simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Fri Nov 24 10:25:28 EET 2006

Dnia 24-11-2006, pią o godzinie 07:40 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
napisał(a):
> 2006/11/23, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org>:

>         But you can use object handlers just like you use file
>         handlers - let
>         the DBUS interface pass you a handle and use that handle when
>         calling
>         other interface methods.
>
> Right, but do you think this is a good idea? I must admit I don't know
> how this would effect performance - construction the query object via
> dbus calls...

I didn't say it was the best idea as it strongly depends on what methods
should be available. I think most methods should be on client side (add
criterion, set groups and such) but this could be easily serialized to
an array tree of string and numeric tokens while being sent over DBUS.

DBUS service could then reply with a unique numeric/string ID that could
be transparently stored in the client-side object to allow later
manipulation. That's pretty much like most RDBMS work - they do not send
objects over the wire but writing an application allows you to
manipulate the cursors and resultsets as if they were objects native to
the language of your choice.

It really depends on what methods should be available after the query is
instantiated. (Or the client-side object could ask DBUS to delete the
server-side query object and create a new one with different parameters
if it decides that user modifications would add too much overhead if
they were to be made as a series of DBUS calls).

> Also, I think such query object onstruction should be bound to the
> native toolkit of your desktop, so that it is a GObject in Gnome fx (I
> know that this is not ruled out in your suggestion).

As you already said this is not impossible,

--
Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org>
PLD Linux