simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Nov 26 14:01:02 EET 2006

James "Doc" Livingston wrote:
>This is actually the perfect example of why using mime-types for this
>won't actually work: the mime types for Ogg Vorbis files and M4A files
>are application/ogg and video/quicktime respectively, which are also the
>mime types of video files in the same containers. Because of this,
>simply filtering on "mime:audio/*" won't work.

This looks like a misdetection instead of a query problem. The simplest
solution I see here is to attach more than one MIME type to each file.
For instance, an Ogg Vorbis file could be application/ogg and also
audio/vorbis.

Or, if you'd rather, you can have compositions like:

The detection of M4A files as video/* is just plain wrong, OTOH. If it
doesn't contain a video stream, it mustn't be in video/*.

Now you'll ask me: what about a (for example) AVI container with Theora
video and MP3 sound? Should it be application/x-avi (or
application/x-mplayer2), audio/x-mp3 and video/x-theora? Well, I don't
know. I guess it really depends on the use-case and what you need this
data for.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358