simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

James "Doc" Livingston doclivingston at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 14:25:13 EET 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 13:01 +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> The detection of M4A files as video/* is just plain wrong, OTOH. If it
> doesn't contain a video stream, it mustn't be in video/*.

M4A files are audio inside a Quicktime container and the mime-type
assigned for Quicktime is video/quicktime, so although it might not be
what we want, it is technically correct.

> Now you'll ask me: what about a (for example) AVI container with Theora
> video and MP3 sound? Should it be application/x-avi (or
> application/x-mplayer2), audio/x-mp3 and video/x-theora? Well, I don't
> know. I guess it really depends on the use-case and what you need this
> data for.

This would work, as music players could search for files that have
audio/* and no video/* types. The only question is whether any/all of
the backend searchers do this, as it would make it awkward for what to
do to depend on the backend.

That said, there are probably few non-multimedia apps that would run
across "exactly what is in the container" issues.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"Once one has achived full endarkenment, one is happy to have an
entirely nonfunctional computer" - Steve VanDevender, ASR