simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

James "Doc" Livingston doclivingston at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 15:04:43 EET 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 14:55 +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> James "Doc" Livingston wrote:
> >This would work, as music players could search for files that have
> >audio/* and no video/* types. The only question is whether any/all of
> >the backend searchers do this, as it would make it awkward for what to
> >do to depend on the backend.
>
> If they don't, they should probably be fixed to support it.
>
> For instance, seeing an .ogg file and assuming it's Vorbis is wrong (it
> could be FLAC). Just as it would be wrong to not inspect and know what it
> is internally.
>
> If a file type is a container type, the indexer has to be smart enough to
> look inside it. A good example are zip files, which can be OpenDocument
> too.

Okay, sounds good to me. If we can depend on backends to correctly look
inside multimedia containers, the "groups" idea isn't really needed for
the "find all music" use case.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
I love ASR, you have total freedom of speech as long as it's punctuated
correctly. -- Chris Hacking in a.s.r