extended attribute standardization

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Mon Nov 27 18:26:02 EET 2006

On 19/11/06, Jos van den Oever <jvdoever at gmail.com> wrote:
> the information can be out of sync.

I've been thinking of good uses of xattrs and discussing this
elsewhere, and we came up with a few good ideas.  One is to cache data
that are otherwise very expensive to generate, like md5sums and rsync
block checksums.  The only drawback is making sure these are kept in
sync, especially if the md5sum is used as a security measure.  This
would require these xattrs to be automatically removed by the
filesystem in the case of the file changing, perhaps by being put in a
separate namespace.

Pete