simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Nov 29 13:05:46 EET 2006

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:

> Why is it that you are against a dbus object per query? That way you
> listen to signal on the object directly and avoid message filtering (and
> possible flooding of the bus). More over a a dedicated object is also
> easier to bind in the toolkits (as far as I can see atleast).

the bus is shared so if you have a separate object dbus is effectively
filtering on that object - its no different from setting up a manual
match rule to filter on a QueryID

>     Heres my suggested spec for Wasabi:
>
>     ServiceTypes is an array of service names like "Files", "Emails" etc
>     need to define full list)
>

>     method PrepareQuery (ServiceTypes as, query s) return ID i
>
>     method ExecuteQuery (int ID, offset i, limit i) return as (array of
>     uri's)
>
>     method QueryHitCount (int ID) return i
>

>     signal QueryHitAdd (ID i, uri s)
>     signal QueryHitRemove (ID i, uri s)
>
>     The above is easy to implement and should cover the simple ground
>

> Do I understand correctly in that you mean to use this interface
> directly with no toolkit bindings? (I'm not objecting - just inquiring).

yes - toolkits already integrate with dbus unless I misuderstood what
you mean?

toolkits can further abstract and avoid dbus'isms like libtracker but
they are not strictly necessary

> What about snippets and file/object properties?

yes true - we can add those

>     For nautilus also needed is extra methods for searching files by mime
>     types and/or location - these can be separate methods as tracker
>     implements them (mime and location dont have a meaning with non-file
>     entities)
>

> What about Konq? Does it have any special needs?

right we need to get all the *simple* requirements from apps so that the
initial searech interface is useful (if not all powerful). If it can
address 90%+ of needs then it will succeed.

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/