A new addition to desktop-file-utils? (Repost)

Magnus Bergman magnus.bergman at observer.net
Mon Oct 9 19:56:56 EEST 2006

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 12:38:12 -0400
Jeff Abbott <fdiv_bug at sniping.org> wrote:

[snip]

> To this end, I've written an additional utility called desktop-file-
> launch, and I'd like to submit it for inclusion in the desktop-file-
> utils toolset (http://freedesktop.org/wiki/
> Software_2fdesktop_2dfile_2dutils).  C isn't my strongest language,
> but my tool works and I'm totally open to suggestions as to how to
> improve it, feature-, code-, or method-wise.  Would posting a patch
> that applies against the latest CVS to this mailing list be the
> right way to go about doing this, or is there a better list or better
> way?

For some time I have been thinking about extracting the desktop file
handling stuff from gnome-desktop (which depends on a lot of things) and
put it in a small independent library. One feature provided would be to
launch desktop files (using startup notification or running
in terminal if needed) which could simply be called by your utility and
other programs needing to launch desktop files. It could perhaps also
show some animation (like gnome-panel does) then the program is started.
I haven't yet got time to do it myself, but you might be interested in
this approach?