autostart spec, round 2!

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Wed Oct 18 22:28:59 EEST 2006

>> 7. XSMP
>
>At a minimum, we need some way for the session manager to recognize
that
>an XSMP client corresponds to something it autostarted, so it can avoid
>duplicates. Maybe we can use startup notification here? Have the app
>pass its DESKTOP_STARTUP_ID back to the session manager as an XSMP
>property, and the SM can match that against the desktop files it
started
>to find a match. (Whatever we do here, it's not going to work 100% of
>the time, since the SM can't force the user to only autostart apps that
>know about this spec.)

I believe current best practice is that applications that know that they
will be autostarted set the DONTRESTART flag. (Or however that thing is
called). That doesn't take care of applications that aren't sure about
this.

The alternative is to have the application autostart after XSMP session
restoration is complete and have it detect that it is already running.
That might be useful if it cares about XSMP session state. Although IMHO
as a singleton it could probably just as easy maintain state as part of
its configuration settings.

Cheers,
Waldo