autostart spec updates/extensions

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Thu Oct 19 19:00:01 EEST 2006

>file

>> >I was about to mail you a test suite for it actually (still need to
>check a
>> >few things)
>> >
>> >It comes down to %%, %d and %n not being supported in Exec lines.
>>
>> Ok, test case attached. Test case requires xdg-utils to be in your path.
>There is something funky going on in that the test only works half the time
>here on my fedora core 5. If you get "/tmp/exec-test.result: no such file"
>then you need to run it again. (Any insight in what is going wrong there
>would be appreciated)
>>
>> Anyway, when you play with the Exec line and the test runs ok you will
>notice that %% is never expanded and that if there are multiple codes
>listed, e.g. both %d and %n then only the first one is expanded. Note that
>%d and %n are actually supported, contrary to my previous statement, as
>long as they are used stand alone.
>
>I don't have xdg-utils right now. I just copied and pasted the desktop
>file and the script. It works fine here, when launching it from nautilus
>and when dropping a file from nautilus too. And %% is expanded too.

That's excellent, I assume it has been fixed for 2.16 already then. Any chance you can hunt down the patch for that?

>Testing with mime type failed, though. Looks like a bug in gnome-vfs.
>I'll look at it.

I see this: After installing the desktop file and updating the default apps gnome-open fails to open the file with the right application for a little while (1 second or so) but then automatically recovers and starts to do the right thing. During that time gnomvfs-info shows the right mimetype. The strange thing is that it also happens when you install a desktop file that already exists: it works before, then it fails for a little while, and then it starts working again. (FC5, gnome 2.14)

Does gnome-open handles this stuff all by itself or does it call nautilus or some other process?

Cheers,
Waldo