a standard for the user's default terminal

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Oct 23 13:03:32 EEST 2006

On Sunday 22 October 2006 22:11, Marcos wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> It would be interesting, if in a file manager one could right click on a
> folder and open the terminal windows on exactelly that folder. Although a
> little bit biased, I can give you two examples for that:
>
> a) "Open Command Window Here" for ms windows
> Source:
> This PowerToy adds an "Open Command Window Here" context menu option on
> file system folders, giving you a quick way to open a command window
> (cmd.exe) pointing at the selected folder.

I guess the unix filemanagers have extension methods like this as well.
Konqueror for example has its service menu mechanism for this, but since it
can have an embedded console follow all path changes, people usually use this

> b) The application that I am developing: TreeSize for Unix
> http://treesize.sf.net ( it currently uses xterm to open terminals )
>
> This is a feature that the beginner user would never use, but the power
> user would love.
>
> Of course I could just keep opening xterm forever, but it would be much
> more confortable for the user if his prefered terminal was opened.

Valid use case, I have to admit I didn't think about non-DE filemanagers.

Maybe, as a intermediate solution, start whatever $TERM points to if it is set
and/or offer a setting for the preferred terminal. Users wanting a terminal
should be able to configure this.

Cheers,
Kevin

--