autostart spec, round 2!

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Oct 23 14:38:45 EEST 2006

Vincent Untz wrote:
>XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/usr/local/etc/xdg:/etc/xdg
>
>Let's suppose I have myapp.desktop in both directories. According to
>your current proposal, we should start by looking at the least important
>directory, ie /etc/xdg.
>
>Now let's suppose /etc/xdg/myapp.desktop is locked down with [$i]. It
>means /usr/local/etc/xdg/myapp.desktop should be ignored. However,
>XDG_CONFIG_DIRS states that /usr/local/etc/xdg should be preferred over
>/etc/xdg (and everybody would expect this, especially admins).
>
>I can think of non-trivial ways to fix this, but a trivial way would be
>better...

The meaning of "/usr/local/etc/xdg:/etc/xdg" with cascading-merge is that
the former overrides the latter. So, yes, /usr/local/etc/xdg is to be
preferred over /etc/xdg, under normal circumstances.

The point is that an [$i] in /etc/xdg locks down saying "stop processing
here". It looks correct to me.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358