Hidden/Enabled key in autostart spec

Rodrigo Moya rodrigo at gnome-db.org
Mon Oct 30 15:59:02 EET 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 09:23 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> What I would really like to see is that the autostart stuff can be
> merged into the normal desktop files that show up in the menus. In
> this case, Hidden should be used to state that it shouldn't appear
> in the menus. We could then have another key called Autostart in
> the desktop file spec, which specifies whether or not something is
> to be automatically started. This would make it much easier to have
> add/remove to/from autostart, integrated with the menu system, and
> would simplify how ISVs provide autostart files, as they won't have
> to provide the same .desktop file multiple times in different paths.
>
> I imagine the reason it isn't being done this way, is due to the
> potential performance concerns of loading up the menu tree on every
> log-in. We can probably easily resolve this with caching, or some
> other way. The panel and/or some other things may be loading up
> the menus already anyway, because they need to display them to the
> user.

and also because sometimes, the command to run from autostart is
different from the one used in the normal menu (can't remember which
one, but I found a module with that problem when implementing the
autostart stuff for GNOME).

Also, some other apps are for autostart, but don't show up in the menu
(screensaver, power manager, etc)

Anyway, I think Autostart-Enabled would be a better key than Hidden.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo at gnome-db.org>