org.freedesktop.SessionManagement

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Apr 2 16:04:31 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 23:52 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 18:39 -0400, William Jon McCann wrote:
> >
> > Nada.  I just wanted to point out that I've been working hard toward
> > the goal of providing some LoginManager/DisplayManager D-Bus
> > interface.  Lots of rather unpleasant refactoring must be done first
> > unfortunately.  So, this is still a few weeks away.

But it's still an interesting interface to standardize such a service on
the system message bus across gdm, kdm, xdm, wdm etc. But this thread is
long enough already...

> So the idea is that gnome-session holds the per-session
> org.freedesktop.SessionManagement service with methods:
>
> Logout (boolean interactive)
> Shutdown (boolean interactive)
> Restart (boolean interactive)

(or maybe other signatures; who knows)

> And also provides a method for applications to register a callback for,
> something like:
>
> Register(void)
>
> User tells gnome-session (or KDE equiv...) to reboot. Assuming okay,
> then tells (system) GDM to notify other sessions, and then do the reboot
> using HAL.

Sounds about accurate to me although I'm not sure gdm uses HAL; it
probably just does '/sbin/reboot' (or similar) since it's already
running as uid 0.

> Cracktastic?

Nah, I think it sounds reasonable....

    David