org.freedesktop.PowerManagement version 0.2

Dan Winship danw at gnome.org
Tue Apr 3 05:21:10 PDT 2007

William Jon McCann wrote:
>> But gdm can never provide an interface on the D-Bus session bus in a
>> desktop session. And it shouldn't - gdm is highly sensitive code so we
>> want as few attack vectors as possible. However, gdm can (and already
>> does) provide a mechanism that e.g. gnome-session (which should provide
>> org.fd.SessionManagement) can use. Hope this clarifies.
>
> Right.  The interface that Dan and I were suggesting would be on the
> system bus and essentially just a nicer replacement for the current
> socket protocol.  And... offtopic for this thread - sorry.

Well, I wasn't thinking just "nicer", I was thinking "cross-desktop". If
the machine is running kdm and the user chooses "GNOME session" when
logging in, he should still be able to reboot/shutdown the machine,
which means gnome-session will need to coordinate that with kdm.
Likewise with running a KDE session from gdm.

-- Dan