shared-mime-info translation

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Apr 17 10:31:45 PDT 2007

A Dimarts 17 Abril 2007, vàreu escriure:
> Hey Albert,
>
> On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 00:27 +0200, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > Hi, seeing as KDE is going to switch to shared-mime-info for KDE 4.0 i
> > started to have a look at how its translations are handled.
> >
> > http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/shared-mime-info states
> > "This database is translated at the translation project."
> > The problem is that
> > http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/registry.cgi?domain=shared-mime-i
> >nfo shows
> > "The current template for this domain is shared-mime-info-0.17.pot"
> > while latest release is 0.20
>
> What's that website about?

It's the "Translation Project", a place that <quote>aims to get the
maintainers of free software packages, benevolent translators (why not you!),
and users all together</quote>

> It's certainly not related to freedesktop.

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/shared-mime-info links to
the "Translation Project" we page saying it is where translations are
handled, if that's not true, someone should remove that link. And explain the
correct way of translating.

> > Then i had a look to the cvs and
> > http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/mime/shared-mime-info/po/
> > has some po that seem to be updated in parallel to the translation
> > project, for example
> > http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/mime/shared-mime-info/po/nl.po?view=log
> >
> > So i'm puzzled, how is shared-mime-info translated?
>
> People grab the sources/CVS, and generate translations. Then they send
> the pot file to one of the maintainers, or attach it in bugzilla.
>
> At least that's my understanding of the current process.

Ok, so can you fix the webpage?

Albert